Joshua S. Bauchner is a partner with the law firm of Ansell, Grimm & Aaron, P.C. and is a member of the Litigation and Bankruptcy Departments. His areas of concentration include complex commercial, class action, bankruptcy-related, and securities litigation. Mr. Bauchner received his B.A., cum laude, from Wheaton College and his J.D., magna cum laude, from Brooklyn Law School.
Following graduation from law school, Mr. Bauchner served as law clerk to the Honorable Ursula Ungaro in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
Mr. Bauchner is admitted to the bars of the States of New York and New Jersey, and the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and the District of New Jersey. He is an experienced commercial litigator practicing in federal and state courts throughout the country.
Mr. Bauchner has a diverse practice, including: enforcing commercial lease agreements, guaranties, purchase and sale contracts, and commission agreements; litigating partnership disputes; defending against class-actions arising from alleged violations of consumer protection and related statutes; litigating claims arising from bad faith denial of insurance coverage; and defending against commercial foreclosure actions.
Representative matters include:
- Prosecuted construction and design defect claims against sponsor, developer and architect of a luxury condominium building in New York City.
- Prosecuted bankruptcy trustee’s claims for fraudulent conveyance, business torts, and a violation of the Bank Holding Company Act, against more than 40 commercial and investment bank defendants.
- Defended a landlord against business interruption and related claims arising from the 1993 terrorist attack on the World Trade Center.
- Obtained favorable settlement for an institutional investor asserting securities, Blue Sky, and related common law claims against commercial and investment bank defendants.
- Defended Boston-area hospital against medical malpractice and related claims seeking $50 million in damages by obtaining a dismissal on personal jurisdiction grounds which was affirmed by the Second Circuit on appeal.
- Prosecuted institutional investors’ securities, Blue Sky and related common claims against placement agents, auditors, rating agencies, and corporate insiders in a multidistrict litigation proceeding.
- Defended corporate clients against securities fraud claims brought by the SEC, DOJ, and class plaintiffs.
- Represented an NFL franchise in its attempt to secure a new stadium on Manhattan’s West Side.
Mr. Bauchner also represents condominium and cooperative boards of management and is a licensed Real Estate Instructor in the State of New York.
He has taught as an adjunct professor at Brooklyn Law School and was appointed by the Manhattan Borough President to serve on the Manhattan Community Board 10 where he was Treasurer of the Board and Co-Chair of the Committee on Land Use. He also served on the Board of Trustees of Wheaton College.
Immediately prior to joining the Firm, he was Deputy Director of the Legal Division at the New York City Department of Consumer Affairs and previously worked at a national litigation firm.
Real Estate Attorney
- Commercial Litigation
Your fiduciary obligations as a real estate salesperson are critical to the profession. Without them, buyers and sellers would have no one upon whom to rely — to trust — with respect to what, for most, is their most valuable asset: their real estate. Understanding those obligations will enable you to protect the interests of your principal, your employer, and yourself. By contrast, those who flout their role in the transaction, are subject to significant consequences.
I wish you the best of luck in your real estate practice and in all things.
— Joshua S. Bauchner